Electrical service in Kentucky offers much in the way of convenience. But, it’s important to remember that it must be used properly. Are there small children in your home? These little hands often find ways to put themselves at risk that adults wouldn’t consider. To keep your children safe, use the following tips from your electrical contractor in Kentucky.
- Cover Outlets – You’ve probably seen those plastic plugs that you can insert into unused outlets. These are a good option. However, these can be pulled out. For even more protection, use face plate covers to completely conceal the outlets.
- Secure Cords – Cords can easily create tripping hazards. They can also allow children to pull heavy items onto themselves. Keep all cords tied down, gathered, or out of sight and reach. Consider using clips or cord-concealers.
- Educate Kids – Teach your children as early as possible about respect for electricity. Explain the dangers of inserting items into an outlet. Demonstrate the proper way of unplugging a cord (Grasp the plug itself rather than yanking by the cord.)
- Unplug Appliances – When not being used, unplug appliances. These devices have shiny buttons and knobs that are enticing for young ones. Keep them unplugged and/or out of children’s reach.
- Keep Bathrooms Safe – Don’t store electrical appliances in the bathroom. Keep hair dryers, radios or other items in the bedroom or elsewhere that children cannot access them. Also, teach children about proper handling of electricity and water. They must know never to pick up an electrical appliance or touch an electrical outlet with wet hands.
- Remember Outdoor Safety – Electrical safety extends to outdoor play, too. Keep an eye out for power lines. Ensure children do not climb trees near power lines, or fly kites too close to lines or towers.
- Contact an Electrician – Do you have additional safety concerns about your electrical service? Get expert advice from your electrical contractor in Kentucky to answer all your questions and keep your family safe.
Contact CDI Electric Inc. today at 859-291-9189 for industry-leading service to complete all your electrical projects.