Lightning is expensive. Every year, it causes more than one billion dollars in damage to buildings across the country. And up to five percent of commercial insurance claims are lightning related.
With these staggering statistics in mind, consider your business. Is it protected? One bolt of lightning can send up to 100 million volts of electricity through your property. The potential damage ranges from brief power outages to crippling destruction. Your business could suffer:
- Property loss: The impact of a lightning strike can cause fires and explosions. The resulting losses can be significant. Building damage, inventory loss or equipment destruction can significantly impact your bottom line and your ability to continue operations.
- Data loss: For many businesses today, the loss of data is just as damaging, if not more so, than physical damage. Without proper protection, systems can suffer power surges and further glitches that result in interrupted networks, corrupted files or complete system wipes.
- Business loss: A lightning fire could cause anything from inconvenience to a full shut-down of your business. Since more than 40 percent of businesses don’t reopen after a disaster, it’s crucial to do everything you can do avoid this potential misfortune.
Protect your business
To avoid these overwhelming losses, make sure your business has the proper protection. Many contemporary buildings are particularly vulnerable to lightning damage due to components used for construction, design of the building, and the hi-tech equipment they house. Every building’s architecture is unique, so a professionally designed and installed lightning and grounding protection system is needed to meet your structure’s specific needs.
Take the following steps to get your business grounded:
- Ask an electrician to evaluate your grounding. You may need to update your outlets as well as install additional protection. When your building is properly grounded, lightning travels the ground wiring instead of surging through your equipment.
- Consider installing a full lightning and grounding protection system. These are designed to protect your structure by providing a path to harness the lightning and safely ground it. It routes the lightning harmlessly into the earth, sparing your business. It protects your investments and keeps your company operating smoothly.
- Contact the grounding and lightning experts at Pro1 Electric to receive industry-leading service for your lightning protection. Using in-depth knowledge and leading techniques, we will provide the highest level of protection for your business. Your professionally installed, certified lightning protection system will save you time, money, and, possibly, your company.
To discuss electrical services for your business, schedule a free consultation with Pro1 Electric by calling 304-482-8487 or filling out our web form.